C.P.E.E. Andrés Muñoz Garde (Government-funded Special Needs Education School)
“Andrés Muñoz Garde” is a government-funded Special Needs Education School dependent on the Education Department of the Government of Navarra. It provides personalized education to a total of 80 students aged from 3 to 21, all with permanent special education needs and different types and degrees of diversity, such as intellectual disability (moderate, severe and profound), cerebral palsy, split spline, Autism Spectrum Disorders, multiple disability, etc.
Their 2017 equine therapy project supported by Fundación para la Promoción del Deporte Ecuestre is the continuation of a project started 9 years ago in the centre with very good results. It is oriented to 23 students, selected according to the following criteria:
- Students with motor disability
- Students with multiple disability
- Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Student with maladaptive behaviour.
Equine Therapy is conducted two days a week in an external riding centre, giving 7 sessions a day, during 20 minutes each, with the following objectives:
- To promote equine therapy as an alternative and necessary therapy, in a natural environment (the centre’s adapted garden).
- To improve the quality of life of the students.
- To improve muscle tone, strength, coordination and balance.
- To work on their psychosocial adjustment, improving their self-esteem, their personal autonomy, their communication skills, etc.
For more information about C.P.E.E. Andrés Muñoz Garde: andresmunozgarde.blogspot.com